Thursday, September 4, 2008

music, jealousy, and missing.

Today a friend of mine asked me to check out his music page for a band he was in. Naturally, I clicked on the link expecting something of poor sound quality and taste. I was more than surprised when I when to his site and heard really good music.

I had mixed emotions about his band. When it comes to music, I become very analytical and I love breaking parts down and finding out what makes the song special. When I heard his band play on their site, I became almost... Jealous. Jealous at the fact that he and his fellow comrades created something they believed was good (which it definitely was) and I sat here in my room, my calloused fingertips longing for a fret board to slide up and down on. The main emotion I felt was jealousy. I was jealous at the fact that these guys were doing what they loved and they all were dedicated to it. I think I'm the only one I know that loves what I do and wants to be completely dedicated to it, while everyone else, including the people in my band, treat it like it's just a deep closet hobby.

Now for a transition.

It's been an interesting week, and as school draws closer and closer, I miss people more and more. Obviously not the people here in Grand Rapids, but the people back home... or in Texas. I wish I could drop what I was doing and get the fuck out--yet at the same time, I don't want to leave because I love the people here as well.

I can hear the rain hitting the roof of the house as I type in this post, and all I can think about is how soaked I might get if I decide to drive my MoPed to Calvin. I think I might just go for it. It might be an interesting ride.

No comments: