Monday, January 26, 2009

The past is watching, the present is celebrating, and the future is thanking

So Obama was inaugurated on Tuesday.
I didn't watch it because I didn't care much.
Don't get me wrong--
I'm extremely happy that a minority has obtained the seemingly unobtainable.
I just wish it was a minority candidate with policies I agree with.
Otherwise, I'm very happy that for this memorable occasion where a non-white person has achieved the highest post in the land.

Politics are really interesting,
especially when it comes to race and gender.
I think a huge problem with the two in politics is that it seems to encompass all other facets.
If a minority runs for office,
not voting for him makes you a racist,
and if a woman runs for office,
not voting for her makes you a sexist.
I've fallen in both of those traps this past election.

I refused to support Hilary Clinton,
and people called me a sexist chauvinist for it...
even though they didn't let me explain that she was pro war and international bullying.
I refused to vote Barack Obama,
and people called me racist.
I don't understand how it makes me a racist.
I'm ASIAN.
I am incredibly happy that a fellow minority ran and won for oval office,
but I'm called a racist! Is it because I didn't agree with his policies on the War on Terror, lack of contempt for corporate crime, America's solution to the reduction of our carbon footprint, etc.
I'm racist because I pointed out that some people that are supporting him are pointing out that he's black.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said it himself, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
"

martin luther king I have a dream speech

I know my vote was placed on the content of Mr. Nader's character, a civil rights activist that agreed with Dr. King and fought for freedom and equality longer than Obama has been alive.
But still, I am called racist.

I hope there will be a time in the future, and dream like Dr. King did, where politicians, leaders, people no longer need to fight for equality and freedom, and I pray there will be a time where a completely African American candidate is running, an Asian American is running, a Hispanic American, an Indian American is running, etc, and it will be completely normal... but I know these are the baby steps that America needs to take in order to reach these goals. That is why, even though I didn't vote or agree with Barack Obama, I am very happy to see a memorial time where a minority can overcome and achieve.

No comments: